Since the introduction of the concept of Smart Cities, many countries all over the world are striving to develop and implement programs that put their cities on the smart city map. Smart Cities are established with the core concept of integrating smart ICT and Internet of things. The result is the creation of more secure and manageable systems, where the city administration will be aware of the needs and requirements of the citizens and the citizens will be provided with better services and facilities related to education, healthcare, utilities and more. The data will be integrated from all departments across the city, making it easier to access and offering the opportunity to gain real insight through advanced analytics.
Italy has recently implemented design programs to help their major cities become smart cities. They have been successful so far. Trento is now in the official list of smart cities published by IEEE. Trento now has a cohesively established and closely linked setup of primary educational institutes, universities, research centers, companies and the citizens.
The major reasons that Trento qualifies as a Smart City are:
- They have closely knit consistent relation between the various institutes and hence the knowledge sharing and unified vision leads to collaborations and advancements.
- They have a shared vision with their citizens to establish smart communities, and the success so far has ensured a decrease in the depopulation of the mountainous areas ensuring sustainable growth in areas that were earlier underpopulated and underdeveloped.
Trento is actively participating in the international community of smart cities to extend collaboration and allow sharing of knowledge about the challenges of smart city development.
The current ongoing projects in various other smart cities of Italy are:
- A real-time energy system that focuses on saving electricity. The real-time data collection enables the smart use of electricity and prevents wastage. The smart electricity grid will provide electricity on demand.
- Smart Mobility of citizens provides them real-time information about the traffic and transportation availability. Car sharing and other forms of ride sharing information is also provided through the smart mobility program. The situation of traffic congestion and updates about a detour is also updated through a real-time system.
- Tourism, which is a very important source of income for many European countries can also be developed through smart programs. The government with the help of social media can track the trends and the reviews from tourists and can innovate and change the sites as per the preference to implement a satisfying and enthralling experience.
The main focus of cities being transformed to smart cities is to make life more comfortable and supportive of the technology advancement. This ensures that every member of the community enjoys a continuos improvement in quality of life.