Elon Musk’s Hyperloop One is one step closer to become a reality.
Last weekend marked the announcement of the winners of the Hyperloop pod competition after they tested them on the mile-long SpaceX track in the Nevada desert.
The highest overall score was received by The Delft Hyperloop Team, of Delft University in the Netherlands and the Technical University of Munich, Germany took away the award for the fastest pod. Third place was secured by MIT whose pod was judged by SpaceX engineers.
This is the first important step towards the realization of a large-scale Hyperloop track. Even if the competition started in 2015, last weekend was the first time contestants got to test their pods.
The final phase of the competition is expected to run this summer, but an exact date is still to be announced.
Here is the list of all the winners:
- Delft University: Highest Overall Score; Design and Construction Award
- Technical University of Munich (WARR Hyperloop): Fastest Pod Award
- MIT: Safety and Reliability Award
- University of Maryland (UMD Loop): Performance and Operations Award
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (Team Badgerloop): Pod Innovation Award
- rLoop (the only team unaffiliated with a school): Pod Innovation Awards
Source: Yahoo Finance